Blog

Laudrey: Sample Wedding Dress Redesign After

Posted by on Jan 22, 2015 in Blog | 0 comments

Laudrey: Sample Wedding Dress Redesign Before

Posted by on Nov 12, 2014 in Blog | 0 comments

20140921_112314

Laura in her sample dress during consultation.

The back side of Laura's sample dress during consultation.

The back side of Laura’s sample dress during consultation.

The Redesign Challenge: The client bought a sample wedding dress made of silk and wool. She came to me to share her vision of what she would like the dress to become. As you can see, the original fit is very loose on her trim figure, so we need to create a more fitted bodice. She also wants to not only reduce the huge layer of petty coat beneath the train, but requests that the modified train be removable. During consultation, it became clear to me that shewas looking for a typical Audrey Hepburn style, and so, we gave the dress, soon to be modified, the name of “Laudrey.”

Stage Three: The Try On

Posted by on Jan 31, 2014 in Blog | 0 comments

try-on-blog

The first fitting after redesign went extremely well! I think the bride is excited to keep such a sentimental piece within the family in a style that fits her. I am also honored to make Mother of the Bride’s dress! The next Try On will be towards the end of February…..looking forward to it!

Goals for Stage Four: Add a lining to compliment and strengthen the dress and fine-tune beading work

-Astrid

Stage Two: The Front of the Dress

Posted by on Jan 20, 2014 in Blog | 0 comments

bodice-blog

We needed to adjust the front of the bodice to fit the shape of the new bride’s torso. From the extra material cut off the original train, we customized a new front bodice.

We also removed portions of the embroidery on the front of the dress to accommodate the bride’s wish to modernize the neckline.

Stage One: The Back of the Dress

Posted by on Jan 15, 2014 in Blog | 0 comments

train-blogIn Stage One we removed the sleeves of the dress and slimmed down the extended length of the train.

Also, the 36 buttons on the back of the dress were recovered.

back-blog

 

 

New Wedding Dress Reconstruction!

Posted by on Jan 9, 2014 in Blog | 0 comments

 

Welcome to my new Blog!

Front view of original wedding gown alongside the pink t-shirt as neckline inspiration

Front view of original wedding gown (arms removed) alongside the pink t-shirt as neckline inspiration

I am very excited to share with you my process of reconstructing a bridal gown. It gives me the most pleasure to take such a cherished garment and morph it into a stunningly, current design, while maintaining the memories of its past. This first design project is for a ceremony in June 2014. It incorporates an original, ivory satin gown worn in the 1940′s and kept in the family.

The first step is to have an in-depth conversation with the new bride to discover her vision and any details she must have. As I found out, the bride is inspired by the neckline of a favorite t-shirt which I will incorporate by transforming the current neckline of the gown (see picture).

Along with more modifications, both embracing the bride’s goals and my designer viewpoint, I will create a draft sketch of the reconstructed gown to present to the bride! Stay tuned….

-Astrid